3 dead, 3 hospitalized in Tabango, Leyte after eating pufferfish (butete)

(Pufferfish are generally believed to be the second-most poisonous vertebrates in the world,
after the golden poison frog. Wiki Commons.)


TACLOBAN CITY - Three people died while three others are hospitalized after eating pufferfish or butete in the local language, in Sitio Patag, Barangay Tabing, Tabango, Leyte.


In a news report by Bombo Radyo, the victims were identified as Restituto Sumalinog, 63, Lucricia Anislagon, 49, and Ramil Catam-isan, 40. Meanwhile, Jolito Dalut, 25, Rodulfo Hiki, 26, and Lucina Hiki, 24, are still in the hospital while another victim, Beinvinida Sumalinog, 53, has already recovered from food poisoning and has returned home.

It is known that butete is dangerous for human consumption but according to an initial investigation by the local police, a man named "Corazon" gave pufferfishes to Restituto where he thought that he could cook the fish and give it as a free food to customers while drinking.


At around 10:00 last night, the victims were taken to the hospital because they experienced nausea while vomiting excessively.

Restituto, Lucricia and Ramil were declared "Dead on arrival" at the hospital. Doctors believed that they have eaten the most poisonous part of the fish.

The other three victims are still being treated at the hospital. iTacloban

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Recent Posts

Related